Re: Making images for publications

On 24/09/2020 11:28 a.m., Lisa Seeman wrote:
> Hi Michael and Roy
>
> We have some voleters making images for " making content useable for
> people with learning and cognitive disabilities"
>
> I wanted to check if we have the credits etc correctly.
>
>   * There can not be anything with copywrite. We need them to agree
>     that the images will be published and copied under the MIT
>     open license used on W3C documents.

The license that will be used is in the copyright section of the
document:
https://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2015/copyright-software-and-document.
I don't think it's quite the same as the MIT open license, the W3C one
allows re-use but requires attribution.

>   * We can credit them by adding their names to the "other
>     contributors section"

Yes, or we can create a specific sub-section in the acknowledgements for
image contributors.

>   * Acceptable image formats are SVG,gif, ping, tiff

Those are ok for us to receive the images in (EPS would also be fine).
We probably do *not* want JPG because of its lossy compression, unless
the image is a photo. When we publish them we should only use SVG or PNG
(or JPG for photos), so we would convert other formats to those.

Michael