Re: Distractions - always negative?

Hi All,

I've been kicking this around some more...I think there's more here - a
broader question. How should a user's attention be drawn to something
effectively? There are two sides to distraction - what you should *not* do,
and what you *should* do in it's place. It is often a requirement/need to
draw attention. This is not always commercially driven. Cookie
notifications, legal requirements, location restrictions, copyright notices
etc. We cannot be abstinence only here, it's just not realistic IMO.

 With emphasis in text we know that the most effective way is to bold the
text as italics, underline and all caps all have issues. Bold does too, but
less so.

 Which brings back the question - how does someone effectively draw
attention, with minimal impact on those with Cognitive challenges? At the
end of it all we need to give developers recommendations they can follow.

  I am thinking along the lines of front loading - all necessary messages
at the start of a process. "You are about to start filling in a form XY for
ZY, would you like live help, or extra time or XXXXXXX" rather than an
overlay after 5 minutes. Might be a good starting point for discussion.