RE: Putting Word-breaking in CLReq?

Exactly, Addison.

For some applications (such as search key word understanding, information retrieval & knowledge graph), better segmentation techniques are required (dictionary, NLP, statistic algorithms, learning algorithms…).

But, from the layout point of view, we should not care about the segmentation issue, we could make the line break between any 2 Chinese characters.

From: Phillips, Addison [mailto:addison@lab126.com]
Sent: Saturday, July 25, 2015 12:50 AM
To: HU, Chunming; 'Xiaoqian Wu'; public-clreq-admin@w3.org
Subject: RE: Putting Word-breaking in CLReq?

As far as I know, there are no character-level mechanisms for finding actual word boundaries in Chinese. Since Chinese text layout (e.g. line breaking) does not depend on word boundaries, this isn’t an impediment to rendering the text. In addition, most text selection in Chinese is done a character-at-a-time, making word selection depend on the action of the user.

That said, there are applications such as e-books, in which accurate word selection is important for other purposes (dictionary lookup comes to mind). Normally word segmentation features in Chinese applications depends on NLP (natural language processing) libraries or on statistical methods. In addition, because algorithms are often wrong (or cannot identify accurately an extended term such as the example given below of “武汉市长江大桥”), the selection boundaries are usually made editable by the user.

Addison