Re: Developer Feedback to W3C (was: AppCache post-mortem?)

Hi, Alex-

On 5/14/13 6:36 AM, Alex Russell wrote:

> On Tuesday, May 14, 2013, Doug Schepers wrote:
>
>     Having some infrastructure and community around all these efforts
>     would be useful. The route I took to doing this was starting
>     WebPlatform.org.
>
> My read of the history of webplatform.org <http://webplatform.org> is
> that it was a vendor-initiated, lead, and managed project which was
> loosely facilitated by the W3C. It was done this way to create
> independence from any one vendor -- despite most (if not all) of them
> being enthusiastic supporters. That the W3C has had a role in it at all
> is testament to the belief by many that it is an honest broker;
> certainly not the sort of organization that would claim credit for
> member's work, surely.

I initiated the project (I even came up with the name in a brainstorming
call with Paul Irish), and helped make it a reality, along with a bunch
of extraordinary individuals from our members. (You can ask them for
details, if you like; I've sent you their email addresses offlist). It
was very much a W3C-initiated effort... sorry if that doesn't jibe with
your idea of W3C. :P

But regardless of who started it, or where it started, I think we have a
great opportunity to leverage it to as an effective developer feedback
mechanism.

(BTW, I'm not claiming I was the first persons to have any of these
ideas... I'm sure they are already in the zeitgeist. I was just noting
that they were in line with ideas I'd articulated, and I'd love to see
them move forward, and hope that can be at WebPlatform.org.)

Regards-
-Doug

p.s. And don't call me Shirley!