Re: Developer Feedback to W3C (was: AppCache post-mortem?)

On Tuesday, May 14, 2013, Doug Schepers wrote:

> [...]
>> barrier:
>> - make it much easier to submit bug reports, with a bug squad that
>> would actually triage and dispatch bug to the relevant working
>> groups as needed
>>

> I would suggest that it should also be easier to file a bug with
> implementers, as well. I've always wanted to have a place to file a bug
> once for all the browsers *and* the working group (backed by a test, of
> course), let people upvote that bug, show which browsers pass the test with
> regular updates, and demonstrate the priority of certain bugs among
> developers. Sort of a combination of a bug-filing system and
> community-driven, sustained Acid Test. Having each browser have their own
> issue tracking systems is necessary, but it makes it hard for developers to
> coordinate on systematically requesting for specific bugs.
>

>  - make it easier for developers to provide more qualitative and
>> quantitative feedback on various technologies via surveys
>>

> I'd really like to get this going. Part of the problem is finding
> developers and designers to answer this; coordination between all of our
> DevRel teams, and major dev sites, could help us come up with the right set
> of questions and a meaningfully broad set of responders.
>

>  - get developers effectively represented in the W3C process via a
>> new class of membership or through an elected representative
>>

> I don't think developers should have to join W3C to participate; they can
> participate now in our public WGs, and even join the WG as Invited Experts.
>
> I have noodled around in the past on having "developer representatives",
> elected periodically... questions would arise of whether they truly
> represent their constituents, how to hold them accountable, how to pay for
> their travel and time, etc. I think I favor the idea of a W3C staffer
> dedicated to advocating for developers, but it doesn't have the same feel
> as someone elected and serving as an independent advocate.
>

>  As Alex pointed out, getting more developer feedback is only useful
>> if that feedback has real influence on the course of our various
>> technologies, incl. in their implementation in browsers — so an
>> important aspect of making this work is to determine what parameters
>> of the way we gather or represent that feedback will make it truly
>> influential.
>>
>> I believe these 3 proposals have merit and can bring a very positive
>>  impact on W3C (well beyond our gap with native); but as they stand,
>>  they're still mostly vaporware, so I would need volunteers willing
>> to dig further into them to turn them into more concrete proposals
>> on which we could elaborate. Any taker? Robin? Alex? Yehuda?
>>
>> (I'll also ping our devrel team since this whole thread is very
>> relevant to them)
>>

> Having some infrastructure and community around all these efforts would be
> useful. The route I took to doing this was starting WebPlatform.org.

My read of the history of webplatform.org is that it was a
vendor-initiated, lead, and managed project which was loosely facilitated
by the W3C. It was done this way to create independence from any one vendor
-- despite most (if not all) of them being enthusiastic supporters. That
the W3C has had a role in it at all is testament to the belief by many that
it is an honest broker; certainly not the sort of organization that would
claim credit for member's work, surely.