Re: Getting offline right and fast (was: Volunteers needed to work on action plans)

Le mardi 14 mai 2013 à 02:22 -0700, Alex Russell a écrit :

> Navigation Controller is my day job at this point. Indeed, I had a
> productive meeting with Jonas et. al. last week in San Francisco on
> this very topic, the results of which are finding their way into the
> github repo right now.

Great to hear!

> One of the Chrome team's goals here is to get this system into
> developer's hands as soon as reasonably possible. That includes
> prototyping via extensions as well as early implementations behind
> flags. Jake (cc'd) has committed to helping to turn our use-cases into
> code examples as a way of testing the system. We have also signed up
> at least one internal team to refactor their system on top of the
> early implementation.

Good to know too; is there a way W3C can help making these efforts more
fruitful by broadening the set of resources for this?

> I feel for you. You want a public list of "look! those are the things
> we're going to fix!"...some sort of a big target to run at. But that's
> not how good design works.

I'm not sure that's a good characterization of what I want, or how I
want to get there. I'm seeing a problem many developers have complained
about, and trying to evaluate if there is anything that W3C can do to
help solve that problem sooner rather than later.

I think you're stating that the resources that are needed are already
aligned, or that W3C is not well positioned to bring these resources —
if that's so, that's more than fine for me!

> Here's an example for you: this isn't about offline at all. It's about
> enabling systems to marry requests with responses, sometimes from a
> cache. And it's about partially-cached graphs of application data. The
> nexus of those two points is a design embodied by many application
> architectures today, including online apps, and which is poorly
> supported by the platform.
>
> That's the sort of thing you get out of deep investigation: not a list
> of things you'll solve, but a better understanding of what the problem
> is. It's not clear that the use-case gathering effort that's under way
> here is adding much.

I'm a bit confused by all this; what I've been proposing is not to
gather use cases, nor to design a new technology, nor to characterize
its architecture, nor to add constraints to the existing proposals.

I'm here to see if there is any way W3C can help make the existing work
in this space progress any faster. Again, if the answer is "no", that's
a perfectly reasonable answer.

Dom