Re: "waking up an app" Re: Kick starting the Web App UX debate

On Saturday, May 4, 2013, Charles McCathie Nevile wrote:

> On Fri, 03 May 2013 21:16:21 +0200, Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>
> wrote:
>
>  On Friday, May 3, 2013 at 4:26 AM, Scott Jenson wrote:
>>

>  4. Web apps need to exist outside of the browser user experience (e.g.
>>> running an app from an NFC launch event)...
>>>

>> The sysapps' "system messages" are trying to address this case (currently
>> poorly specified):
>> http://runtime.sysapps.org/#**system-messages<http://runtime.sysapps.org/#system-messages>
>>
>> Are supposed to wake up an app on an event (like NFC).
>>

> The Push API being worked on in the Web Apps working group is explicitly
> designed to deal with this.

A push notification can generate a system message (depends on the system,
security model, etc.). System messages is an abstract middleware component
that magically routes messages (and provides a way for apps to get their
messages)... So similar but different.

> Hopefully the Web Apps group and the System Apps group can talk to each
> other and sort out whether we need to specify two versions of the same
> thing before we even get one interoperably implemented.
>
> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/push/**raw-file/default/index.html<https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/push/raw-file/default/index.html>

Yeah, agree. Would not be good if they conflict. I need to review that spec.