Re: Web Apps Discovery in context

Le mardi 16 avril 2013 à 08:28 -0700, Scott Jenson a écrit :

> You've nailed the opportunity, in fact, I strongly feel this is the
> 'super power' of the mobile web, something that native apps can
> *never* do. The ability to walk into any location and 'pull up an app'
> is not only powerful, it provides a tremendous technology base for all
> sorts of products/companies.

I strongly agree :)

> Wifi usually requires you to join the network first. As most wifi
> networks are protected these days that's a huge hurdle (of course
> protected wifi *does* give you a modest amount of security to protect
> your devices from others)

Arguably, one could imagine that the retail store of my example would be
more than happy to offer free Wifi to its customers if that made it
easier for them to e.g. buy more stuff.

> Bluetooth is a bit of a mixed bag, it gives you 'drive by' discovery.
> Bluetooth 4, btw, is much better at this than previous versions. If
> you had a 'growl style' app on your phone to look for BT4 services
> that were broadcasting they had a web page, that could work. The only
> downside is that BT4 wouldn't give these devices access to the
> internet, they'd need another radio/ethernet. Not a killer, but it
> makes it harder to make cheap devices that you can interact with.

>From your description, Bluetooth 4 seems to be a pretty good candidate
for the mobile use cases; it certainly wouldn't suffice for cheap
devices à la Internet of things (or bees as you would put it :), but to
address the specific use case we're discussing, I'm not sure there is
anything missing.

Could you maybe describe a bit more how you would use BT4 to broadcast a
Web app, and what this growl-like app would need to do? Is your
expectation that this growl-like app would be the browser itself? a
third-party native app? a Web app itself?

I'd like to dig a bit in this approach to find what if anything we can
do to help promote that kind of discovery.

Dom