Re: Web Apps Discovery in context

Dom,

You've nailed the opportunity, in fact, I strongly feel this is the 'super
power' of the mobile web, something that native apps can *never* do. The
ability to walk into any location and 'pull up an app' is not only
powerful, it provides a tremendous technology base for all sorts of
products/companies.

I hope we can all agree that magically opening a specific web app in for a
specific location/situation/product is useful, what gets sticky is *how* as
all of today's technologies are a bit of a compromise.

Wifi usually requires you to join the network first. As most wifi networks
are protected these days that's a huge hurdle (of course protected wifi
*does* give you a modest amount of security to protect your devices from
others)

Bluetooth is a bit of a mixed bag, it gives you 'drive by' discovery.
Bluetooth 4, btw, is much better at this than previous versions. If you had
a 'growl style' app on your phone to look for BT4 services that were
broadcasting they had a web page, that could work. The only downside is
that BT4 wouldn't give these devices access to the internet, they'd need
another radio/ethernet. Not a killer, but it makes it harder to make cheap
devices that you can interact with.

WifiDirect is promising as it solves all of these problems, BT4-like
discovery plus full access to the internet through normal wifi. The obvious
problem here is that WifiDirect isn't exactly setting the world on fire.

I'd be interested in anyone else's thoughts on way's to kick start this
'just in time' discovery. I've come to the conclusion that no one
technology will save us here. That 'growl app' I mentioned earlier likely
will need to cover a range of wireless technologies (my initial guess is
BT4 and WifiDirect but equally likely is a protocol on a router that is
advertising nearby services)

This is a very confusing space but if we can crack this "lower-level
discovery" issue, we can unlock a whole new economy...

Scott