From: Emily Ryan <emily.ryan@civicactions.com>
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2023 7:59 AM
To: Adam Sobieski <adamsobieski@hotmail.com>
Cc: public-civics@w3.org <public-civics@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Rebuilding Local News

I am currently studying the effects of digital media on the rise of mis/disinformation for my thesis work and I would also recommend reading work by noted philosopher and professor Thi Nguyen, who writes about the deep psychological methods utilized by media platforms such as Twitter (now "X") to amplify sensational information. His piece "How Twitter Gamifies Communication<https://philpapers.org/go.pl?id=NGUHTG&aid=NGUHTGv1>" gets into the weeds and explains how such tactics tend towards reinforcing epistemic bubbles and echo chambers. His entire body of work is worth more exploration if this area interests folks (https://objectionable.net/philosophy/)

Creating new platforms is a hard uphill battle and I'm not convinced yet that is the solution here. I do subscribe to the belief that the loss of local news is having a profound effect on how false information spreads and am grateful for your efforts here - I've bookmarked a lot of what you've sent and plan to do some more deep diving. So thank you for sharing this!

emily