Re: Artificial Intelligence and Opinion Polling

Civic Technology Community Group,

Hello. I recently received some feedback on these ideas which underscored the importance of securing opinion-polling systems.

Firstly, virtual opinion pollsters could be those parties which initiate opinion polling processes, using telephone to call selected respondents, sending emails to selected respondents, and so forth, as opposed to traditional Web-based opinion polling where respondents initiate opinion polling processes (including in ways which might not be impervious to malicious actors or their bots). Anonymity in these types of systems, where virtual opinion pollsters initiate the processes, would, seemingly, require trusting the opinion-polling organizations using the AI tools.

Secondly, there exist solutions such as Vocdoni [3][4]. I’m looking, once more, at these types of technologies – which I think are designed for multiple-choice polls and voting – and considering whether or not they might be able to support more kinds of items including, but not limited to, open-ended natural-language questions.

Best regards,

Adam Sobieski

[3] https://vocdoni.io/

[4] https://blog.aragon.org/introducing-vocdoni-anonymous-voting/