Re: Hello and Welcome to the Civic Technology Community Group

Mike,

Thanks for joining and for sharing those hyperlinks. To your questions, for some backstory, the W3C very recently closed the Open Government Community Group and the Electronic Governance Community Group due to inactivity. As these former groups are now closed, they don’t show up on that list of open groups.

When I learned that those groups which I had participated in were going to be closed, it occurred to me that a new endeavor should start. As this new group progresses, we can have elections and can draft a charter document. A formal charter document should provide further technical clarity to some of the important questions that you have asked. For now, I can refer to combinations of artificial intelligence, open government, and civic technology as relevant topics for our group discussions. Beyond sharing interesting finds from the Web to warm up the group, I look forward to participating in group discussions.

In these regards, I’m looking at the Mississippi website (https://www.ms.gov<https://www.ms.gov/>) and its chatbot MISSI while considering technologies like ChatGPT and Bard. Conversational user interfaces and user experiences, e.g., conversational search, can amplify the benefits of bulk open government data, including financial, accounting, and budgetary such data.

Today, we can but imagine what it would be like for people to be able to interact with dialogue systems and chatbots to more efficiently explore bulk open government data through written and spoken multimodal dialogue. As a result of much hard work, including some here, I believe that this vision can be realized.

Some questions come to mind. Should each neighborhood, city, county, state, and federal government provide a chatbot resource on its website? Instead, or in addition, should there be one per nation, providing people with access to larger, unified datasets (e.g., usa.gov)? Instead, or in addition to awaiting public-sector chatbots, should one or more major search engines offer, as a community service, multimodal chatbots for accessing and interacting with these public-sector data? What are your thoughts on these topics?

I am also eager to learn more about other ideas and opportunities that you or any other group members might also have in mind for this group. Thank you.

Best regards,

Adam

P.S.:

Can ChatGPT work with your enterprise data? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW2EA4aZ_YQ