FW: Visually impaired in organic chemistry

-----Original Message-----
From: Disabled Student Services in Higher Education <DSSHE-L@LISTSERV.BUFFALO.EDU> On Behalf Of White, Jonathan M
Sent: Wednesday, May 26, 2021 11:54 AM
To: DSSHE-L@LISTSERV.BUFFALO.EDU
Subject: Re: Visually impaired in organic chemistry

Hi All,

We have a student who is visually impaired and uses JAWS. The student has requested that text descriptions be provided for any and all images she has to deal with, particularly on tests and labs. Has anyone dealt with this particular combination before? We are wondering if A) this places an undue burden on the professor given the sheer number of graphs, tables, and diagrams involved (I'm guessing no, but asking anyway) and B) if interpreting a text description rather than a diagram constitutes a fundamental alteration (we're in contact with the professor to explore this as well). Also wondering if anyone has any resources or supplemental material that could help this student for this particular subject. Thanks in advance!

-Jon
(he/him/his)
Jonathan M. White
Assistant Director, Alternative Testing and Assistive Technology University at Albany | Disability Resource Center Office of the Dean of Students Campus Center 137 | 1400 Washington Avenue | Albany, NY 12222
Phone: 518-442-5501 | Fax: 518-442-5400  | jmwhite@albany.edu

This list is intended to serve as a forum for higher education professionals involved in the delivery of services to students with disabilities in higher education. Any commercial posts or posts that are deemed by the listowner to be inappropriate for the list will result in the poster being removed from the list.

To sign off the list, send a message to
* listserv@listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu
* with the message
* Unsubscribe dsshe-L