Re: comments on WICD Mobile DOM section

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 23:49:52 +0100, Steve K Speicher <sspeiche@us.ibm.com>
wrote:

>>> What would be your suggestion of wording?
>>
>> The wording of the document I referenced would be fine with me.
>
> The W3C does not copy text from other documents due to intellectual
> property and copyright issues.

Maybe you should get in touch with the new HTML WG (public-html@w3.org).
They will likely define this. (Likely based on the above document.)

> This should simply use EventTarget as suggested, as defined by DOM Level
> 3 Events.

How would that work? That doesn't solve the issue at all I raised!

> We do not plan to make any changes regarding this issue.

Well, I object to that descision since making no change doesn't solve the
issue I raised.

>>> What these two sections 3.6.11 & 3.6.12 say is that the event
>>> attributes in XHTML or SVG (like onload, onmouseup etc..) map to the
>>> registration
>>> of an even listener for a specific DOM Level 3 event. Section 3.6.11
>>> gives the mapping for XHTML and 3.6.12 gives the mapping for SVG. For
>>> example, we should be able to test that if we dispatch a 'mousedown'
>>> event, the listener contained in a 'onmousedown' attribute is invoked
>>> during the proper phase (bubble).
>>
>> I meant that we already normatively reference SVG. As such, I'm
>> wondering
>> what section 3.6.12 is for. If it's just to clarify how this works for
>> SVG, the section should probably be clearly marked non-normative.
>
> As part of CDRF "2.2.2 Event-Related Markup" [1] it states that profiles
> must define their mapping to DOM Level 3 Events.  As SVG does already
> provide this, it is important to highlight it.  We will not be making any
> changes based on this comment.

Highlight is not the same as making it normative. Making the section
non-normative would satisfy my comment. If the group for some reason wants
it normative I object to this descision since it seems unwise to make
requirements twice.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>