Re: [WICD] comments

On Tuesday 31 January 2006 01:50, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
> Hi Bert,
>
> you wrote:
> > * WICD Full
> >  http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-WICDFull-20051219/
> >
> > 1) For me, a much more useful format would have:
> >   - HTML
> >   - MathML
> >   - Java
> > in addition to the formats mentioned, and would not have
> >   - ECMAScript.
>
> While it is possible to build a WICD profile along these lines, the
> Working Group chose *a* profile that met *an* expressed need for the
> contents of the current profile.

That's an unusually modest ambition for a WG...

But I don't believe you believe that yourself. WICD's goal is to define
the Web, or at least the Web browser, of tomorrow. When tomorrow all
browsers implement WICD and not MathML, what are you going to say?
"Sorry, it's just a profile, we didn't expect anybody to take WICD
seriously"?

MathML has to be there right from the start. Almost anything else can be
added later, because it is only transcluded (so no change to the
parsing) and occupies a rectangle (so no change to the rendering). But
MathML pretty much has to be included instead of transcluded (you're
not going to make a file for every formula) and, more importantly, math
formulas have to be typographically integrated into the text.

If you want to postpone Java and HTML, that's unfortunate, but
understandable.

But if Math isn't included *now*, the rendering engines will not support
it and their programmers will fiercely resist addding it later.

Math in HTML was already demonstrated in 1995 and more than ten years
later it still doesn't work on the Web. Please, don't make that mistake
with WICD!

Bert