Re: [CDR Framework] i18n comment: Language identification for child documents

* Felix Sasaki wrote:
>>> If you ask an SVG document about language information, and the document
>>> is inside an HTML document, the xml:lang attribute in the HTML applies
>>> to the SVG as well. It seems that the compounding specs should say:
>>> \"You should get the same results for both inclusion and referencel.\"

>The i18n core working group still disagrees with your reply.
>We have a scenario in mind with an XHTML document which contains an SVG
>image. If it is external, the language information does not apply anymore.
>Our concern is: what should happen if there is no "authoritative
>metadata"? We agree with the explanation you gave us, but would like to
>have a scenario for the case without "authoritative metadata", but with
>document internal data.

It seems what you want is that the document element in SVG documents
inherits language information from referencing elements if no other
language information is available. So if you have a graphic without
any language information referenced from a german XHTML document, the
graphic should be considered a german graphic.

If that's desired here, could you elaborate whether this is specific
to SVG or should apply to other formats aswell (all formats, all XML
formats, ...) and/or whether this is specific to XHTML or should apply
to other formats aswell (all formats that allow this kind of embedding,
all XML formats, ...)? This will help to understand why you think the
CDF Working Group should define this, rather than the SVG Working Group
or some other Working Group.

Could you also elaborate on why such a requirement or recommendation
would be better than simply to allow implementations to apply heuristics
(which may or may not include what you propose) to determine the
language?