Re: [CDF Framework 1.0] 2.4.1 Rightsizing Cases

Jeff,
This is a very good comment, but unfortunately about six years too late.
When the SVG 1.0 spec was developed in the period from 1998-2001, we agreed
on the processing rules for the 'width' and 'height' attributes on the
outermost <svg> element and how a child SVG object negotiates a viewport
size with its parent. These rules went into the SVG 1.0 Recommendation,
which was approved in Sept. 2001. The key text from the SVG 1.1 spec can be
found at: http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/coords.html#ViewportSpace

Perhaps we chose a suboptimal approach back in 1998-2001, but at this point
there are many implementations that support these rules, so it is too late
to change them.

Jon Ferraiolo
Member SVG Working Group
Adobe Systems, Inc.