From: Jay Munro <jaymunro@microsoft.com>
To: Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
Cc: Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>, Dominic Mazzoni
            <dmazzoni@google.com>, "eoconnor@apple.com"
            <eoconnor@apple.com>, Jatinder Mann <jmann@microsoft.com>,
            Canvas <public-canvas-api@w3.org>
Date: 12/11/2013 06:51 PM
Subject: RE: drawsystemfocusring/drawcustomfocusring

Thanks Richard,

I understand concept, as it’s essentially linking an onscreen (canvas)
element with a hidden element. As the hidden elements get focus, we
highlight its partner image on the canvas, and supply whatever additional
accessibility info or state from the hidden element.

By definition, “notional” is defined as imaginary, hypothetical,
theoretical, or an idea. The fallback elements in Canvas have been termed
the “shadow DOM”, but they are part of the DOM. If the browser doesn’t
support Canvas, then the elements are shown. I’m hesitating to introduce a
new term (notional child/children) as I’m not sure using it would make it
clearer. I’d rather use “hidden” or “fallback elements” and see the action
defined, than label them with a new term.

-Jay

In canvas accessibility fallback elements (between canvas start and end
tags) are used to represent important objects drawn on the physical canvas.
These fallback elements are used in the keyboard navigation order and they
supply accessibility information to the browser which will then in turn map
that information to platform accessibility API services.

These fallback elements are considered to be "notional children" as they
are not actually drawn to the glass as they are hidden by the canvas tag.
However, because they are hidden we need a vehicle to provide their
location to assistive technologies which these APIs do. For example, when
we call drawSystemFocusRing(element):

The current path will get mapped to a bounding rectangle for the element in
fallback content. Since these are notional children their location is not
typically adjusted when the container they reside in scrolls. What we are
saying is that when the page scrolls these "notional children" must also
have their location adjusted the same way the canvas element location gets
adjusted by the user agent.

When you are tabbing through the web page these fallback elements can be
included in the tab order (e.g. tabindex="0"). When this occurs the canvas
element may not be visible in the user agent due to the viewport of the
browser. In this case (the same way we do with hyperlinks) the focus must
be scrolled into view after the focus change occurs.

drawSystemFocusRing and drawCustomFocusRing are called by the author when a
focus change occurs. I am not sure when the scroll would occur - after the
focus event is fired in the DOM or before. Do you know?

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger

Inactive hide details for Jay Munro ---12/10/2013 10:41:31 AM---Richard, On
your inserted text below, are you thinking that wouJay Munro ---12/10/2013
10:41:31 AM---Richard, On your inserted text below, are you thinking that
would be an addendum to the procedure li