Native Messaging. Re: Minutes of the 2017-02-02 teleconf

On 2017-02-02 07:54, Florian Rivoal wrote:
> Minutes of the 2017-02-02 teleconf are available here:
>
> http://browserext.github.io/minutes/2017-02-02.html

Thanx Florian,

Since my interest is limited to Native Messaging which (AFAICT), in the current incarnation
doesn't address iOS and Android (i.e. missing 97% of the mobile device market), I will drop
off until I see this topic being dealt with by a larger group of interested parties.

That Google who is the originator of Native Messaging isn't a participant also makes me
questioning the value of *this* part of the work.  From what I understood, neither Apple
nor Google have yet been approached which seems like a huge waste of resources and time.

Using "in-browser" extensions and Native Messaging in for example Android makes no sense
since Android has a WebView component which is way more powerful than a browser which is
why I insist that Native Messaging and in-browser extensions should be *separated*.

As a "workaround" [1] the scheme implemented by Mozilla and Google is just fine.  However,
as a "standard" it doesn't meet reasonable deployment and security expectations.

Some kind of manual application vetting is simply put necessary, at least on systems that
do not support application sand-boxing and declared usage of privileges.

I find it slightly odd that Mozilla and Microsoft spend time on developing a *single-purpose,
Native Messaging scheme* in the Web Payment WG when I have shown [2] that a much simpler universal
solution can do the same job and still address thousands of entirely different applications!

Anders

1] https://www.cnet.com/news/google-paves-over-hole-left-by-chrome-plug-in-ban/

2] https://test.webpki.org/webpay-merchant