Re: Mozilla challenger to the Native Messaging spec:

On Sat, Nov 05, 2016 at 09:15:44PM +0100, Anders Rundgren wrote:
>On 2016-11-05 20:50, Kris Maglione wrote:
>>On Sat, Nov 05, 2016 at 03:23:30PM +0100, Anders Rundgren wrote:
>>>https://flyweb.github.io/posts/2016/11/01/introducing-flyweb.html
>>
>>Sorry, but could you please explain why you think this is in any
>>way related to native messaging, let along a challenger to it?
>
>As I see it, native messaging represents one way to interact with
>local/native applications.  Flyweb seems to do this (and some more)
>but through an entirely different mechanism:
>
>"This feature allows users to find and connect to nearby devices with
> embedded web servers such as printers, thermostats and televisions"
>
>Maybe I have misunderstood something?  These devices (=applications)
>must run on another machine?  It is not obvious to me.
>
>Anyway, there are WebAppSec discussions about making localhost access more
>standardized and that's definitely a challenger to Native Messaging.

The two technologies have completely unrelated goals and
applications. FlyWeb is for discovering and communicating with
devices and servers on the local network. Native messaging is
for securely launching and communicating with applications on
the same machine. And while FlyWeb could conceivably be used for
some of the same purposes as native messaging, that's not its
intention.