Re: Zoom quality issues in BiDi meetings

On 08/10/2020 08:24, Mathias Bynens wrote:
> FWIW, I also heard Brandon turn into a very loud robot for a few seconds
> — it’s not just you. Furthermore, I didn’t hear any meeting audio the
> first time I dialed in, but after I refreshed and re-joined the meeting
> for some reason it worked. Shengfa had the same issue. And I think we
> all experienced /crackled foolip/.

I believe the Zoom web app doesn't use the normal WebRTC media stack,
but does its own encoding/decoding using WASM (see [1] for quite a lot
of technical details here). So it's possible that there's a performance
issue with Blink/v8 that could be investigated and fixed (but I don't
know if things are better in other browsers).

I don't have a strong opinion on which solution we use, but I will note
that I have had very few quality issues with Zoom using the native app
(although it has a surprising number of UI issues), but the Google Meet
web app has been more hit and miss and sometimes leads to high CPU usage
and degraded audio quality exactly like we saw yesterday. So I'm
skeptical that there's a solution that will be problem-free for everyone.

[1] https://webrtchacks.com/zoom-avoids-using-webrtc/