Re: W3c Webdriver vs Json Wire Protocol

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 11:22 PM Mamgain, Sushant <smamgain@ciena.com>
wrote:

> I am using json wire protocol for driving selenium web driver. Now the
> Wire protocol is saying the it’s obsolete and new one is W3C.
>
> I noticed few api changes also, in the calls.
>
> But what is the significant change in W3C webdriver in comparision to
> jsonWire. Do I need to move to the latest one.

I don’t think anyone has a made a good overview yet, but you can compare
the Selenium JSON wire protocol on
https://github.com/SeleniumHQ/selenium/wiki/JsonWireProtocol with the list
of endpoints in the specification at
http://w3c.github.io/webdriver/webdriver-spec.html#list-of-endpoints.

The strategy of the Selenium project is to patch the existing Selenium API
client bindings to be able to talk to WebDriver conformant remote ends.
It’s possible to do this through identifying the remote as conformant and
using a separate endpoint table when talking to such remotes.

The second thing to note is that the changes made in the specification
reach deeper than just modifications to the endpoints: certain return
values, data structures, and input parameters have also changed.

If you are the maintainer of a client binding, you need to make a decision
on whether you want it to be able to speak to both Selenium-compatible
remote ends _and_ W3C WebDriver-compatible remote ends, or just target one.
As a user of the client bindings, you shouldn’t need to be concerned with
the changes we are making to the protocol as they are all possible to make
work in a backwards compatible manner.

I hope this helps.