Re: Accesskey in Addendum to Best Practices

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 09:11:38 +0200, Alan Chuter <achuter@technosite.es>
wrote:

> Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>> This is something that browsers which are also designed to handle the
>> desktop web might naturally do, e.g. to deal with the fact that few
>> phones have an "s" key, or that fewer have a "д" key, and that many
>> authors don't follow guidelines such as "use only numbers".
>>  Between behaviour necessary for user agents to more effectively render
>> the web, and the propensity of authors not to accurately describe how
>> to use access keys anyway, it makes no sense to recommend the author
>> describing how to use them - any more than it makes sense to recommend
>> that authors tell users how to go to the page they were on before.
>
> It might be useful to recommend that rather than defining access keys
> and explaining what the definitions are, authors should provide a page
> saying that they **don't define them** but pointing to a guide to how
> they can work.

Authors *do* define them, but they can be redefined. So we need to be
careful of the terminology.

> The MWI could maybe provide such a page to point to, rather like the
> page provided by WAI [1] for text size and colours, which tells people
> how to use their browsers.

Maybe. This requires a commitment to *maintain* such content, and the BPWG
at least is not expected to last long enough to make such a commitment
mean anything at all...

cheers

Chaals