Mobile Web Best Practices Working Group Charter

On Sep 16, 2009, at 9:48 AM, 전종홍 [Jonathan Jeon] wrote:

> Thank you for your help, Jeff.
>
> I know it is very difficult job to rechater the WG.
>
> If our chairs and members agree its necessity,
> I'd like to start discussion on the rechartering the BPWG with you.

and thank you for all your work with this Working Group...
it has been very valuable

as Jo Rabin kindly reminded me at the last teleconference [1]
we are approaching the end of the chartered time-span
for the W3C Mobile Web Best Practices Working Group...
that short part of the teleconference discussion
got me to thinking about the current BPWG Charter [2]
and whether it was appropriate for W3C
to extend or to recharter or to let die
this Working Group

Jo reminded us [1] that the Charter says:

   "BPWG is about Mobile Devices not mobile phones specifically"

and this resulted in me going back and re-reading the Charter
to remind myself (as I know one should periodically)
just what we were to be working on

the MWBP Charter [2] says:

   "The main objective of the Best Practices Working Group (BPWG) is
   to enable the reach of the Web to be easily extended onto mobile
devices
   by providing guidelines, checklists and best practice statements
which are
   easy to comprehend and implement. These, when implemented by a Web
site provider
   will enable the content to be perceived by users on mobile devices,
particularly
   small-screen devices such as PDAs, browser-enabled phones and touch-
screen devices."

I think the phrase
"will enable the content to be perceived by users on mobile devices"
was a good choice of words by those who wrote the Charter

when I first joined this Working Group
the main everyday work-focus of the Group
was on writing about
how to implement pages and sites
aimed at browser-based clients

over the past few years
non-browser-based clients have emerged
as a major trend in mobile device use of the Web...
witness the emergence of the need for and a concrete draft of
the Mobile Web Application Best Practices document
in July of last year [3]...
this was in response to real-world requests
for guidance and coordination

IMHO
the work of the
W3C Mobile Web Best Practices Working Group
is not over
- the WG should recommend that
the BPWG Charter "Deliverables" section [4]
be modified to reflect the need to complete the current draft of
the Mobile Web Application Best Practices document [5]
and
- the WG should recommend
other similar documents dealing with other
non-browser-based & emerging-platform
mobile-device-based uses of the Web

jeffs

--
"No design survives first contact with the user."
-- @bokardo on Twitter --

Prof. Jeff Sonstein

http://www.it.rit.edu/~jxs/
http://ariadne.iz.net/~jeffs/