Re: ACTION-924: canvas and SVG draft text / comments

On Sep 3, 2009, at 2:45 PM, Eduardo Casais wrote:

>> well
>> I *do* try to point out
>> the basic decision-elements
>>
>> SVG if you need DOM access and richness
>> Canvas if you don't
>
> The decision elements must be based on application
> functionality, performance issues, portability, security,
> accessibility, usability, in other words, requirements
> -- not on the features of the technology.

feel free to suggest an alternative approach to the editors...
I think what I wrote is reasonable for the average developer

>> the choice of whether to generate stuff
>> server-side or client-side
>> seems to me beyond the scope of this little section
>
> That is a pretty limited view of the affair.

deliberately so...
there are a lot of other factors that go into making good
"do this server-side or client-side" decisions

> The sum of these considerations would be that there are
> compelling reasons NOT to use canvas

I understand that this is your "bias"

nonetheless
what people are actually doing and what I was asked to write about
is choosing to use canvas instead of SVG
where that may or may not be appropriate

> To put the question in another light: what were the
> compelling reasons and use cases to include canvas
> in HTML 5

IMHO that is *way* beyond the scope of this document

canvas is real
and it is being used
so we need to address it...
whether any one of us thinks canvas or HTML5
is A Good Idea
or not

jeffs

--