Re: [agenda] Sprites for decorative images only

On Wed, 20 May 2009 11:25:53 +0100, Alan Chuter <achuter@technosite.es>
wrote:

> That was my understanding. But I have to apologise for commenting
> without doing enough research first. Sprites should be used, I believe,
> with replacement techniques (see Dave Shea's blog [1] for a survey of
> them). In that case the image is an alternative to the text. If CSS does
> not work for any reason, the text is displayed (as long as the whole
> sprite image isn't then filling up the window). so maybe this isn't the
> case after all.

Maybe a terminology problem. I understood sprites to mean small graphics
combined together into one file - so a bullet for a link and a different
coloured bullet for a hovered link would not be two separate tiny gifs
that need to be fetched over http, but they'd be side-by-side in an image
and then positioned by css to show one or the other.

In such a case, CSS is correctly used as the image is decorative so their
is no requirement for a textual equivalent.