Re: [minutes] 12 May 2009 Teleconference

From: Tom Hume <tom.hume@futureplatforms.com>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 11:26:08 +0100
To: Luca Passani <passani@eunet.no>
Cc: Mobile Web Best Practices Working Group WG <public-bpwg@w3.org>
OK, I've explained why I voted against this one. I'll do it once more
and leave you to it.

The MobileOptimized META attribute isn't an indication that a page is
generally mobile-aware, it's a hint to a specific browser to say
"don't apply your normal layout rules to this page"; I think there's a
difference, you're free to disagree of course.

Formatting a page for mobile IE doesn't mean that it's suitable for
consumption on other mobile devices. There are other mechanisms that a
content provider can use to say "don't transform me" if they want to.
Unless it's extremely prevalent in the real world - which I've not
seen evidence that this is - I don't believe that mandating respect
for a single vendors proprietary mechanisms is appropriate.

--
Future Platforms: hungry and foolish since 2000
work: Tom.Hume@futureplatforms.com play: tomhume.org