Re: ACTION-892: Information Conformance Statement for CT Guidelines

Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 14:32:00 +0200, Rotan Hanrahan
> <rotan.hanrahan@mobileaware.com> wrote:
>
>> Just commenting from the sidelines... I find the version with SHOULD
>> and MUST together to be the better version. While I can understand
>> that the SHOULD levels present the implementers with "grey areas" to
>> consider, and therefore a greater demand for guidance/explanation,
>> seeing these clauses excerpted in this manner does not provide
>> sufficient context for a proper understanding.
>
> Agreed - for my 2c.

Agreed as well.

>> The tabular format is rather good, I must say. However, I cannot see
>> the reason why one would permit a comments cell for the MUST clauses.
>> In such cases, failure to comply with a MUST means total
>> non-compliance, and I would not offer a "comments box" for excuses.
>> Perhaps those cells should be greyed out, and the Introduction amended
>> so as to stress that comments only apply to explanations for
>> non-compliance with the SHOULD or SHOULD NOT clauses.
>
> I don't think it matters if they are there - in essence you just need a
> single checkbox for MUST, and 'yes' or 'why not' for should - although
> being able to note a failure in a seperate column (with explanation of
> it) is helpful. But I don't think you need to spend a lot of time on
> that. Implementors can edit the table if they really need to for
> internal use...

Agreed.

I gave it another try with two columns:
- a "Compliance" column that features a checkbox
- a "Reason for non-compliance" column that is greyed with a "N/A" for
must-level statements

I updated the Abstract and Introduction sections as well.

I updated the files in place, same links as before:

Version with SHOULD-level and MUST-level statements:
http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/BPWG/Group/TaskForces/CT/editors-drafts/Guidelines/ics-090622-must

Version with SHOULD-level statements only:
http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/BPWG/Group/TaskForces/CT/editors-drafts/Guidelines/ics-090622

Francois.