Re: MWABP: Revised text for Device Capability Detection.

From: Bruce Lawson <brucel@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 12:16:17 +0100
To: "Adam Connors" <adamconnors@google.com>, "Rotan Hanrahan" <rotan.hanrahan@mobileaware.com>
Cc: "Mobile Web Best Practices Working Group WG" <public-bpwg@w3.org>
On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 11:53:57 +0100, Adam Connors <adamconnors@google.com>
wrote:

> Great. Bullet-point added... Would somebody more familiar with the
> technology be able to supply a short summary please.

How about: CSS  provides a mechanism called media queries
http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-mediaqueries/ whereby developers can provide
stylerules depending on certain attributes of the device such as
device-width, aspect ratio, number of colours supported. This can reflow
content, provide different fonts or differently-sized backgroud images, or
hide images etc.

- sidenote; if CSS has "display:none" for an image/ element with a
background image, should we recommend that it not be downloaded until it's
needed, or would that introduce too much delay if CSS or JAvaScript
subsequently changed that display value?