RE: ACTION-845 - Finalize information on caching concept, now ?live, and contribute it to the list

From: Michael Versace <michael.versace@fstc.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 09:26:01 -0400
To: <public-bpwg@w3.org>

unsubscribe

-----Original Message-----
From: public-bpwg-request@w3.org [mailto:public-bpwg-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Dominique Hazael-Massieux
Sent: Friday, September 12, 2008 9:19 AM
To: Scheppe, Kai-Dietrich
Cc: public-bpwg@w3.org
Subject: Re: ACTION-845 - Finalize information on caching concept, now live, and contribute it to the list

Le vendredi 12 septembre 2008 à 14:33 +0200, Scheppe, Kai-Dietrich a
> FF and Opera:
>
> Correct behavior, irrespective if a proxy was configured or not.
>       * response code 200 if a file was new or modified
>       * response code 304 if unmodifed.

I think this behavior is independent of whether you use an access-based
or modification-based setting. Basically, it should only depends on
whether the resource is served with a Last-Modified header (or an ETag),
which itself appears in Apache as soon as mod_expires is enabled
(ExpiresActive On + ExpiresDefault ...).

(but maybe I misunderstood what you were suggesting...)

Dom