RE: Comments on BP2

Sean,
We need to be careful not to follow too strict a "mobile-specific" focus
or we will end up saying very little indeed. Certainly the Mobile Web
shares technology and service paradigms with the Wired Web. But to say
that anything which has any significance whatsoever in the Wired Web
case is thus out of scope for the MWI, is not helpful.

I included various topics of interest to the broader web specifically
because the nature of the Mobile Web raises their importance to be
addressed as best practices, either because they are more important
fundamentally in the Mobile Web case, or the techniques which support
them are more problematic in the Mobile Web case. Personalization as an
objective of increasing service value is one such aspect. These are
issues that we as a mobile web service provider have been helping
developers deal with since the beginning of the mobile web. As W3C tries
to introduce the broader community of developers to the mobile web, it
should try to understand, or at least take at face value, such issues
that those who have served this market from the beginning consider
important.

Here's an attempt to explain this in a less technical way:
Personalization increases the value of content and services to users,
which is important in the mobile environment due to the extra effort
necessary to find relevant content, interact with applications, and the
limited output possible in mobile devices. In the PC environment, users
have a variety of useful/easy input methods and controls making it
easier to input personalizing information and surf to the content they
want, and can more easily scan a large amount of content for the bits
that are relevant to them. Each of these aspects are more limited, and
thus more difficult to address in the mobile environment. Automatic
personalization, and easy-to-use methods for input of personalizing
information when necessary, make this a realizable goal for mobile
services.

Re methods of protecting personal information, obviously some basic
appoaches e.g. HTTPS are shared with the Wired Web. But due to resource
limitations on mobile devices I don't think anyone would expect that any
personalized service will be restricted to HTTPS. There are other
methods which can be used and supplement HTTPS for critical
personalization phases, e.g. as I have mentioned in the best practices.
Many developers simply will not be aware that there may be concerns
about personal information trust/security, and further have any clue how
to do it other than use HTTPS, which will work fine as I have said for
the Wired Web, but not as a general approach for the Mobile Web. Thus
there is a higher need for something (personalization), and a less
robust environment to provide it. These combine to an issue which is
valuable to address as a best practice.

Re 5.3.2, many web applications will use device storage outside the
browser cache, and the market is "gearing" up for this. We need to
recognize this and prepare best practices that set expectations on the
impact to limited device resources.

Re 5.4.2, BP1 said simply "don't do it" re Redirect. What I'm saying is
that there needs to be *realistic* guidelines on what should be the
typical use of redirect in the cases I have mentioned, which are
typical. BP1 did not adequately address this, as I pointed out in the
Nov 07 F2F.

Re 5.9.4 Provide Alternatives to AJAX, this specifically is assuming
that not *all* devices will support AJAX, which is reasonable. The point
is that AJAX/scripted applications need to be provided in alternate
forms to work on such devices. Perhaps obvious, but then we are SME's
and this is not written for us.

In Seoul we were not able to crystalize any one aspect of the Apple
guidelines to include. But we did agree to continue considering the
external guidelines in general, so we can still pick up something from
Apple, especially if someone wants to provide some text.

Best regards,
Bryan Sullivan | AT&T