RE: ACTION-785: Check the personalization section for specific parts that seem to imply combination of personal information with usage patterns

Hi Kai,
Yes, I agree that there is a subtle but important distinction between
personalizing information (information that has been obtained/derived
that helps in providing a more personal service) and personal
information (a person's specific attributes). I do recommend that we
help developers understand that it is perfectly fine to use
personalizing information as described in the text that existed in
section 4.1 of the 20080521 version: "Personalized services are enabled
by Content Provider awareness of personalizing information, e.g. user
identity, preferences, and delivery context characteristics."

As indicated in the text of section 3.2.1.1 "Personally identifiable
information (e.g. user identity or information usable as a key to user
identity) should only be accepted or sent securely. Less sensitive
information that cannot be associated with an individual (e.g. a zip
code by itself is not personally identifiable) can be exchanged in the
clear provided the correlating information is secure.". This indicates
that there is a different level of sensitivity to information that is
personally identifiable e.g. name or MSISDN, or any other public
identity/attribute which can be used to identify a specific individual,
as compared to a pseudo-ID (e.g. Yahoo ID).

The specific concern you have though seems to be with behavior tracking,
and use of that information in subsequent service. I agree with you that
usage history can be used as personalizing information, and if passively
collected (i.e. without specific user consent), then should not be used
in association with personal information, since that could be a privacy
concern.

Best regards,
Bryan Sullivan | AT&T