Re: Browsing the Web with a non-existing User-Agent

Just to clarify.

I am not running a survey.

I was indeed looking for examples to what Jo mentions as b) (How many
sites respond with "Your browser is not supported" when faced with a
User-Agent they don't recognize, rather than an unacceptable Accept
configuration).

Since I didn't have any example and was not in a hurry, I thought the
best way was to change the User-Agent string my desktop browser is using
to some weird-looking one (I use the name of a young French singer for
teenagers, because that's the only thing that crossed my mind at the
time...), and see some "sorry, not supported" messages here and there.

It's been a week, I've just been browsing my regular web sites: news,
travel, banking, blogs, search engines, yellow pages, videos, merchants
sites, weather. I haven't tried any adult related site yet, but I'll
give it a try!

I would not call that a survey, certainly wouldn't say it's
representative of the Web at large, I do not consider myself to be a
browse-addict, and I haven't been assembling any stats out of it. I have
not seen any "sorry, not supported" message yet, and that's the reason
why I raised the question.

I forgot that the list was public, and mentioning names and URIs here
may indeed not be suitable here. It certainly was not my intention to
point out to someone and say: your site breaks and it's bad. Well, we do
say that 406 responses are good anyway, don't we?

Anyway, I didn't have any second thought when sending my initial
message, but... since we seem to be having troubles to assemble any
stats on this, maybe we could all change our User-Agent while browsing
with our favorite desktop browser, and try to build a (private) list of
10 mainstream sites that return rejected responses. A kind of
implementation report on the use of 406-like responses. Is it a stupid idea?

Francois.