Re: Web browsers, HTTP and transcoding

Hi Tom,

Here I am with my usual links ;-)

We received a comment on section 4.1.3 that says that a CT-proxy must
stay transparent if it's not able to determine positively that the
message is for "Web browsing". The comment ended by "In any case,
putting a MUST-level requirement on this seems strange":

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-bpwg-comments/2008JulSep/0136.html
  (part on section 4.1.3)
  (LC-2069 in the Last Call Comments tracker)

We agreed with that comment. Such a normative statement cannot be
enforced. So we basically decided to switch this to informative (hence
the use of "ought to" in the resolution below)

RESOLUTION: ref LC-2069. Resolved yes, with the replacement text: Before
altering aspects of an HTTP request proxies ought to take account of the
fact that HTTP is used as a transport mechanism for many other
applications than "Traditional Browsing" and that alteration of HTTP
requests for those applications can cause serious misoperation.

See: http://www.w3.org/2008/10/20-bpwg-minutes.html#item03

Jo has ACTION-865 to "word smith resolution on LC-2069 in line with its
spirit and come up with something a bit cleaner and more comprehensible".
If you want to provide some text, feel free to do so :-)

Francois.