Re: Verizon guidelines

 From this thread:

With CTG in its current form, it works like:

Novarra: Verizon is compliant with CTG.
Tom Hume: No, they are not.
Novarra: Yes, it is because Verizon has launched a service to reformat
the web, so users are implicitly requesting a web experience. Deep down
somewhere there is a link to opt-out of the service....
Tom Hume: I still think Verizon is not compliant
Novarra: We disagree
...and so on and so on...

Not so, here is how it works:

Tom: Please refer to 4.1.5.3 which clearly states that the default
assumption must be that users require the original version

[Proxies should assume that by default users will wish to receive a
representation prepared by the Web site. Proxies must assess whether a
user's expressed preference for a restructured representation is still
valid if a Web site changes its choice of representations (see 4.2.6
Receipt of Vary HTTP Header).]

Tom: And kindly also refer to 4.2.2 which states:

[Proxies must provide a means for users to express preferences for
inhibiting content transformation. Those preferences must be maintained
on a user by user and Web site by Web site basis. Proxies must solicit
re-expression of preferences in respect of a server if the server starts
to indicate that it offers varying responses as discussed under 4.2.6
Receipt of Vary HTTP Header.]

And Luca, ref the Vary header ... this is important to stop caches
caching the wrong thing, or rather to allow them to cache the right
thing in the presence of varying representations.

Jo