Re: transcoders bad

Sean Owen wrote:
> If you are doing content negotiation, you need to look for the
> presence of one new header in the case that you are talking to a
> transcoder, to both ensure you send no-transform and render for the
> target device. This seems like two lines of code -- if you're not
> already looking for this semi-standard header.

It must seem simple to you because you are not affected by it. But
asking the entire industry to change the way it does something involves
real resources... an argument you're apparently not taking seriously
because you don't have to bear the cost. And when it comes to bearing
the cost, transcoders don't have much experience in that at all, do
they? Transcoder makes a mistake, who gets the support call?  Transcoder
inserts confusing links, who loses the business?  So resource management
isn't your forte, I understand, but at some point you have to be
accountable for your presence in the ecosystem.

> You are angry because you have interests and your interests have
> clashed with those of transcoders. I am sure that is valid. This
> document does not only represent content developer interests, but the
> interests of end users. I don't think it's appropriate for a W3C
> recommendation to represent only one party's interests, do you?

Of course not. I said in my last email that transcoders have a valid
place at the table, but it's in deference to mobile developers. As a
transcoder, it comes as no surprise that you disagree with that, but for
the W3C community to sign on to that proposition reflects a certain
perversity of the way business should be done on the mobile web.

> You have a business problem. Luca's solution is "wish that transcoders
> didn't exist." How's that working for you?

We'll see. If you think that's all his solution amounts to, however,
you're placing yourself at a disadvantage in the debate.

> You are telling me you have a big business problem and won't write two
> lines of code to fix it? Well, it's up to you I guess. I think this
> document is aimed at people who want to find practical ways to
> actually solve the problem.

Problem? There is no problem, if transcoders don't touch anything when
asked to, including the user-agent, etc. It's so simple. I can't imagine
why you're arguing this point. After all, your business model is only
relevant in domains where mobile sites have not been explicitly created,
right? Unless, of course, what you're really after is plastering links,
logos, and advertising in or around someone else's site with impunity or
at the least, plausible deniability, behind the shelter of awkwardly
defined standards documents.

Terren