Re: Blockchain Technologies Feature Analysis

On 10/08/2016 12:27 AM, Lemieux, Victoria wrote:
> Manu, Just following up to say thanks for forwarding this. I haven’t
>  had a good read through yet as I have a number of tight deadlines in
>  the next week or so, but will take time to study it carefully after
>  that.  It looks like an excellent resource, though!

We hope it'll help. :)

> One thing I am wondering just off the top is whether it might be
> possible to integrate an assessment of record keeping requirements
> for guaranteeing long-term authenticity and accessibility with the
> security requirements, so as I read through I will consider how this
>  may map to some of the international record keeping standards that I
>  mentioned at the W3C workshop in June.

Yes, that would be great. The analysis we did was for the Department of
Homeland Security related to "identity management" issues. So, they
wanted us to keep a very close eye on security and privacy principles
such as non-repudiation, pseudonymity, selective disclosure, etc.

We added the performance principles (latency, consistency, auditability,
etc.) as analysis points as well because we wanted to make sure we
understood the performance envelopes for each system.

Similarly, you may want add "record keeping" principles and we could go
back through and do an analysis from that perspective. In fact, this is
exactly the sort of thing I hope will happen. We need to start creating
a database of sorts (can be just a wiki page) that takes a particular
principle (such as audit-ability) and runs all the major blockchain
technologies (or algorithms) through that principle so that we
understand the benefits and drawbacks of each system (or algorithm).

It's only after we have a clear picture of the state of the art that
we'll be able to know what to standardize and what trade-offs one can
expect when picking from a particular mix of blockchain technologies.

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: Rebalancing How the Web is Built
http://manu.sporny.org/2016/rebalancing/