Re: Next step for biodiversity terms

Hi Franck,

Thanks for the detailed reply and please let me know if we should move this
discussion over to a GitHub Issue?  Apologies I wasn't up to speed on the
more recent discussions than what is on the bioschemas website.

I'm have reviewed the threads you link and I very much share the sentiments
and objectives you have all voiced there and in this thread (avoid the
debates, leverage existing schema.org vocab whenever possible).
Unfortunately, I'm afraid the new proposals sound quite confusing.  It
seems the proposal to create a new `TaxonName` implicitly means that
`Taxon` is supposed to effectively mean "TaxonConcept"?  I agree
TaxonConcept is not an area of consensus, and it's main purpose is to allow
for discussion in a world where different authorities have
conflicting/overlapping notions of TaxonConcept, and I'm really not sure we
want to go that route.

If Taxon is not meant as "the concept of taxon" then I don't see how it is
different from a TaxonName.  (This is made even more confusing by the fact
that "name" is also a Property of a taxon).   I think this new proposal is
much more confusing than the original!  I acknowledge that the "Concept" of
a Taxon is different than a name, but I think we would be better off not
attempting to define a class/Type for "TaxonConcept" (since afik the
experts haven't done that), and we should let the proposal of "@type":
"schema:Taxon" mean a name, which is how most people see it.  (At it
simplest, we should think of "Taxon" as merely a name/label we apply to an
individual specimen, and not worry about defining the 'class of all such
specimens).

Defining the inverse pair `hasSynonym` & `synonymOf` sounds reasonable,
though I do worry a bit about the complexity.  That is, taxonomically,
`hasSynonym` implies it is property of an "accepted name", while
`synonymOf` sounds like a property of "the synonym", but in English
"synonyms" are symmetric, there's no "accepted" one.  I wonder if
(paralleling the darwin core terms) it would be better to use the optional
property "acceptedName" (and not define an inverse property).

  "@type" : "Taxon",
    "name" : "Rollandia micropterum",
    "@id": "
http://www.itis.gov/servlet/SingleRpt/SingleRpt?search_topic=TSN&search_value=
1000254"
    "acceptedName": {
                      "@type": "Taxon",
                      "name": "Rollandia microptera",
                      "@id": "
http://www.itis.gov/servlet/SingleRpt/SingleRpt?search_topic=TSN&search_value=
562791"
                    }

Does that make sense?

Apologies, not trying to open a can of worms here, just aspiring to the
same goals of avoiding debate and re-using existing terms!

---
Carl Boettiger
http://carlboettiger.info/

>>> https://dwc.tdwg.org/terms/#dwc:acceptedNameUsageID) or taxonomic