Re: Next step for biodiversity terms

Thanks!

Yes, identifiers are of course the solution, the point is that you need two
different identifiers and you need to know which is which.  Here's a quick
DarwinCore example:

 {

"taxonID": "ITIS:1000254",

"scientificName": "Rollandia micropterum",

"acceptedNameUsageID": "ITIS:562791",

"taxonomicStatus": "synonym",

"vernacularName": "Titicaca Grebe"

}

We don't need `taxonomicStatus` explicitly here, since it is implied by
seeing that the accepted ID (acceptedNameUsageID) is not the same thing as
the taxonID for this name.  But we do need two identifiers, and we need to
know which one is which.  It's not clear to me how the above would be
represented in the schema.org proposal.  (of course one could say "don't
use synonyms! but we may as well then say "don't use scientific names, just
use accepted identifiers" but we live in a world that uses scientific names
so we need these mechanism that can acknowledge some names are synonyms)

---
Carl Boettiger
http://carlboettiger.info/