Re: Google Summer of Code

It seems Alan has covered most points I would raise as well, thanks!
I definitely think you should go for GSOC!

tl;dr: GSOC is definitely worth it - but takes effort also from the
mentor side. Need to describe the bioschemas organization and ideas in a
fresh way to tempt both GSOC organizers and potential students.

Students come in varying skill levels - you might get someone who is
expert in Javascript but have never done JSON before.
It can be really hard if the student have to learn multiple technologies
as well as understanding what your project is actually about. So
anything on the "edge" is usually better - mind you some students really
like diving in.

Note that you need to also present your proposed organization well in
order for it to be picked by GSOC centrally - it's quite competetative
with many hundreds of organizations applying. If accepted you are likely
to just get slots for just 1 or 2 students.

In Apache we are a bit spoilt as a big umbrella organization with long
history of GSOC participation - in theory we could have proposed W3C as
the hosting organization for GSOC - obviously that needs more
coordination in advance :)
(see https://www.w3.org/wiki/GSOC/2015/ from earlier)

But there are lots of small project==organization as well in the GSOC
org list - so then the challenge is how to tempt the students to go
have a look at *your* proposals. They will have heard about Apache,
Debian, Bootstrap, etc; very few students will have heard about
bioschemas - although some will have heard about schema.org.

So that's also where your project ideas come in - tempting the students
(and perhaps the GSOC organizers) with technology they might want to
play with anyway and get on their CV -- for instance we got loads of
interest for Android apps, while nobody wanted to do system integration.

I think there is loads of interest for web apps - and bioschemas using
JSON-LD/schema.org is an obvious fit here -- but what would such a
webapp do?  Perhaps some kind of BioSchemas shopping basket?

It's good to keep your idea on a wiki page so multiple bioschema folks
can augment it after the GSOC organization has been submitted/selected.