Re: Bioschemas.org to define biodiversity-related markup

Hi Frank, all,

On 16/11/2017 09:37, Franck Michel wrote:
> Hi Meanie, hi all,
>
> EoL provides an API that returns species descriptions as JSON-LD based
> on schemas.org. Beluga example: http://eol.org/api/traits/328541
> It is unclear who consumes this data, but at least, as you already
> saw, they embed it at the end of their own web pages such as
> http://eol.org/pages/328541/data.
BioSamples does the same - an API to retrieve JSON and we embed it in
our webpages for crawler as well.

> As you also noticed, the JSON-LD they provide is not valid. I didn't
> know about that EOL Github issue, but I recently discussed it with Rod
> Page from the Biodiversity Information Standards (aka TDWG), who
> replied on the Github issue. The Google structured data testing tool
> gives more details on that: https://frama.link/xJm0AAto
> Besides, other errors are not reported (well, I think these are
> errors): property scienfiticName without any namespace is invalid,
> that should be dwc:scientificName since this does not exist in
> schema.org. Same issue for vernacularName, traits, units...
>
> But whatever, this JSON-LD has lots of issues, but it's a start.

Yes. Only mentioned the tweaks in case someone wanted to give it a try
as well.

> The assumption is that there is some sort of specific (one-to-one)
> agreement between EoL and Google, and that Google harvests this data
> despite the invalid JSON-LD. But I have no confirmation of that

It'd be interesting to clarify this. It seems a little bit counter
intuitive that EoL would mark their pages up with JSON for Google to
read it but then Google couldn't do so without a special adapter? We're
probably missing a piece of the story.

> > - the measurement type points to
> http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/VT_0001256, which is body length. The
> schema.org/predicate value is also "body length (VT)". How is this
> understood and displayed as Length on the Google result?
> - Similar question for the actual value and units, which are "4249.83"
> and "mm" respectively. Is Google doing some sort of unit
> conversion/roundup for display?
>
> Good question. Typically about the unit "mm":
> - "units": "mm" => there is no such thing as http://schema.org/units
> - "dwc:measurementUnit": "http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/UO_0000016"
> => this seems to be the only reliable property, but then Google knows
> the Darwin Core vocabulary and interprets it.
> My assumption is that Google performs some treatment on the values.
> Possibly, they developed a specific connector to cope with EoL JSON-LD
> and translate this body size to "4.2 m".
> Besides, the snippet mentions "4.2 m *(Adult)*", so they also
> presumably consider this property:
> eol:traitUri"http://eol.org/resources/704/measurements/adultheadbodylen27"
> to know that this is the size of an adult.
>
> With proper Bioschemas.org profiles, I think we could annotate pages
> from many other institutions, such as the Beluga page
> <https://inpn.mnhn.fr/espece/cd_nom/60932?lg%3Den> on the french
> National Museum of Natural History, and in turn, enable search engines
> to harvest data from complimentary pages and produce mashups of
> related pages, etc.
That sounds like a great idea and entirely within the scope of Bioschemas.

> At this point, I think we should involve people from EoL, and from the
> TDWG community (Rod Page would certainly be of great added value in
> this respect). What do you think? Is there a procedure for inviting
> people "officially"?
I think we could benefit from their experience indeed; it seems they
were able to deploy markup, add additional properties and then get this
to be interpreted by Google which seems to match our use case pretty well!
I +1'd the issue at https://github.com/BioSchemas/specifications/issues/115

Cheers,
Melanie