Re: FRBR and the Web

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 9:33 AM, David Booth <david@dbooth.org> wrote:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> On Sat, 2011-02-12 at 20:31 -0500, Jonathan Rees wrote:
>> FYA, I wrote up some of my thoughts on how FRBR relates to the web and
>> to webarch.
>>
>> http://odontomachus.wordpress.com/2011/02/13/frbr-and-the-web/
>
> That write-up feels like it is going down the path of attempting to
> discover the natural laws that govern what is and what is not an
> InformationResource.

As I said in a comment I was only considering 'information resource'
*as used by TimBL* specifically in the Generic Resources note.

> Personally, I don't think that path is going to
> work very well, because to my mind an InformationResource is merely a
> *role* in the web architecture: *anything* can be considered an
> InformationResource if one chooses to give it that role, though some
> things are more appropriate for that role than others.   This is not
> exactly what AWWW currently says, but so far it's the only
> interpretation that makes sense to me, as otherwise we keep running into
> muddiness: there never seems to be a clear distinction of what is and
> what is not an InformationResource.

I don't think there has ever been any doubt that documents and web
pages are information resources in TimBL's view, and that people
aren't. Maybe I'm wrong, but if so you'd be able to point at evidence
since he has written on the subject quite a bit. Clearly TimBL thinks
IRs form a class that is independent of web architecture (have nothing
to do with their 'role' in webarch) - that's the whole point of his
memo.

Whether TimBL's definition relates to the usage in the httpRange-14
resolution is a separate question, and not relevant to the blog post.

Jonathan