Re: [pedantic-web] Re: The OWL Ontology URI

From: David Booth <david@dbooth.org>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 22:21:39 -0400
To: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Cc: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org>, AWWSW TF <public-awwsw@w3.org>
On Thu, 2010-05-13 at 00:03 -0500, Pat Hayes wrote:
> [ . . . ]  Suppose A
> is an RDF graph, and B is an RDF/XML file which encodes/is a surface
> syntax of/represents (choose your favorite terminology) that graph A.
> And suppose U is a URI which "identifies" B, in the sense that what
> you get back, when you do an HTTP GET using U, is a
> 'representation' (in the REST sense) of B with a 200 code attached.
> That is, the relationship between U and B is exactly like that between
> the URI of a web page, and the web page itself.
>
> My point is simply that under these circumstances, we are pretty much
> obliged by http-range-14, as I understand it, to say that U denotes B;
> that is, it denotes the thing it HTTP-identifies.

I agree.

> And if it denotes B,
> then it cannot denote A, since (for other reasons, on which we agree)
> A is not identical to B.

But I disagree with that conclusion, because as explained in
http://dbooth.org/2009/denotation/
I think U can perfectly well ambiguously denote *both* A and B.  For
example:

 - one particular RDF semantics interpretation
http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-mt/#interp
of a graph involving U may map U to A while a different interpretation
maps U to B; or

 - in one RDF graph, all interpretations map U to A, whereas in a
different RDF graph, all interpretations map U to B.

Cleveland Clinic (contractor)

reflect those of Cleveland Clinic.