Re: [pedantic-web] Re: The OWL Ontology URI

On Thu, 2010-05-13 at 08:28 -0400, Jonathan Rees wrote:
[ . . . ]
> A = an RDF graph
> B = an RDF/XML file that encodes (etc.) A
> Brep = a REST-representation of B
> C = an N-triples file that encodes (etc.) A
> Crep = a REST-representation of C
> D = a "generic resource" (in TimBL's sense of the word, and as
> permitted by the content negotiation feature of HTTP) with the
> following properties:
>    Brep is a REST-representation of D
>    Crep is a REST-representation of D
> U is a URI that is used (in RDF, say, or elsewhere) to refer to B
> V is a URI that is used to refer to D
[ . . . ]

> You are right that we shouldn't use U to refer to A.

The only problem I see with using U to refer to A both A and B
(ambiguously) is if you have some application need to distinguish
between A and B.  As explained here
http://dbooth.org/2007/splitting/#httpRange-14
there is no architectural reason why U should not refer (ambiguously) to
both A and B.  Whether or not it should is an engineering choice that
depends on your application.

--
David Booth, Ph.D.
Cleveland Clinic (contractor)