Re: Are generic resources intentional?

On Jun 16, 2009, at 2:01 PM, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:

> On 2009-06 -16, at 12:28, Jonathan Rees wrote:
>
>> On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Jonathan Rees<jar@creativecommons.org
>> > wrote:
>>>
>>> How about if we call it "phlogiston" then.
>>
>> I think I understand how this works now: The puzzle is, if all of an
>> IR's essential characteristics can be conveyed in a message, then how
>> can two IRs differ in any way other than in their representations?
>>
>> Well, to induce the puzzle, you need two assumptions:
>> (1) that the message in question (the converyor) is one of the IR's
>> representations, as opposed to some other message,
>> (2) that a characteristic informative enough to differentiate IRs
>> having the same representations - "phlogiston" - must be an essential
>> one.
>
> Is this a counter example:  Two different IRs where the
> representation you get is identical:
>
> A version:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-wsc-ui-20090226/
>
> The latest version:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/wsc-ui/
>
>> Relax either assumption, and now Tim's definition of generic resource
>> becomes consistent with AWWW's definition of information resource.
>
> Good.
>

>> For example, in the time sheet example, the difference between the
>> two
>> resources - namely, whose time sheet it is - might not be an
>> essential
>> characteristic.
>
> I don't thing that drilling into the English word "essential" is
> useful any further.

Philosophy, not English. Essential here means, it wouldn't be the same
thing if this were changed.

> The essence of a document is its content.

Whoa. Tell that to the intelligence community or any good lawyer. It
may be just as important to know who created it, what its secrecy
level is, etc. etc. Documents are objects with many properties as well
as their content.

Pat