RE: network endpoints

> From: Jonathan Rees [mailto:jar@creativecommons.org]
> [ . . . ]
> So I do not consider this a discussion on the definition of
> awww:InformationResource. It may be unclear but we are not at liberty
> to redefine it - it's published.

I think we *need* to redefine it.  The published definition at
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-webarch-20041215/#def-information-resource
is unworkable.  It is: (a) known to be flawed; (b) not how the rest of the document implicitly defines it; and (c) not the actual concept on which the Web architecture is based.

> I consider what we're doing to be
> (in part) an attempt to articulate the intended semantics and
> recommended practice around 200 responses.

Right, but I don't see how we can do that without a workable definition of "information resource".

BTW, I just noticed an interesting miscommunication.  I've been using the term awww:InformationResource to refer to the concept of "information resource" that I believe the architecture of the WWW *intended* (basically a function from time and requests to representations) -- *not* how the term is currently defined at
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-webarch-20041215/#def-information-resource
since that definition is erroneous.

If we can get back to use cases it would be helpful to me at least, since I'm struggling to figure out what it is that folks are finding difficult to do.  For example, I've offered an n3 definition of what can be inferred from a 200 response, but Alan (privately) has complained that the inferred information is tautological, so it seems like he's wanting something different, but I don't know exactly what.  Would it help to look at an example when viewing an IR as a function from time and requests to representations?  We briefly looked at the relationship between these two IRs in W3C's TR space:

  http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-mt/  (generic)
  http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-rdf-mt-20040210/ (dated URI)

Would it be helpful to others to see those relationships between those, and the rules that are used to infer them, coded in n3?  If not, can someone suggest a use case example they'd like to see analyzed?

David Booth, Ph.D.
HP Software
+1 617 629 8881 office  |  dbooth@hp.com
http://www.hp.com/go/software

Opinions expressed herein are those of the author and do not represent the official views of HP unless explicitly stated otherwise.