RE: N3 rule for proposed Resource-Description header

> From: Jonathan Rees [mailto:jar@creativecommons.org]
>
> On Apr 3, 2008, at 12:40 PM, Booth, David (HP Software -
> Boston) wrote:
>
> > *All* descriptions referenced (by URI) from the response header
> > must be treated as ancillary assertions.
>
> This is a bit off topic, but does this mean you no longer consider
> URI declarations to be a use case for the "uniform access to
> descriptions" problem? (I'm referring to the note that you left for
> me on the wiki page
> http://esw.w3.org/topic/FindingResourceDescriptions .
> I dealt with your note by adding your
> link to the use cases list, by the way.)

No, I still consider notion of URI declaration, and the distinction between core assertions and ancillary assertions, to be extremely relevant.  I think they help clarify what the Semantic Web architecture needs.

Descriptions linked from a Resource-Description header can allow the URI owner to provide useful assertions about the resource, even though they would be ancillary assertions rather than core assertions.  I thought that was what page
http://esw.w3.org/topic/FindingResourceDescriptions
was seeking.  However, I'm now wondering if by "Uniform Access to Descriptions" you really meant "uniform access to *core* assertions".  The key difference is that use of a URI only implies agreement with its *core* assertions -- not its ancillary assertions.  Which was your intent?  And if your intent was ancillary assertions, then why does it matter whether the URI owner provided them?

David Booth, Ph.D.
HP Software
+1 617 629 8881 office  |  dbooth@hp.com
http://www.hp.com/go/software

Opinions expressed herein are those of the author and do not represent the official views of HP unless explicitly stated otherwise.