Re: N3 rule for proposed Resource-Description header

On Apr 3, 2008, at 12:40 PM, Booth, David (HP Software - Boston) wrote:

> *All* descriptions referenced (by URI) from the response header
> must be treated as ancillary assertions.

This is a bit off topic, but does this mean you no longer consider
URI declarations to be a use case for the "uniform access to
descriptions" problem? (I'm referring to the note that you left for
me on the wiki page http://esw.w3.org/topic/
FindingResourceDescriptions . I dealt with your note by adding your
link to the use cases list, by the way.)

> The only reason I chose Resource-Description over Link was because
> I understood it better.  I don't understand what 'rel="meta"'
> means, because "meta" isn't a URI, so I can't look up what it's
> supposed to mean.  :^)

Good point. Mark Nottingham specifies the BASE URI relative to which
"meta" is to be completed in
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nottingham-http-link-
header-01.txt
Unfortunately there's no definition for that particular URI.

The XHTML spec points to http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmes-xml/,
which is not really a spec. Both refer to RFC 2731 as if it defines
rel="meta", but it doesn't, as far as I can tell.

There are numerous other mentions, including in early versions of the
RDF documents, and many in connection with FOAF (and of course POWDER).

There are other ways to look up what things mean other than
dereferencing a URI. But sometimes they don't work. The "meta" value
seems meaningful to me (meta = has metadata) but it seems to be a
folk tag for now. Someone should ask Mark to include a definition in
his RFC.