Re: Short Introduction

On Sat, 2017-06-03 at 09:36 +0200, J. Schmidt wrote:
> Hi Everybody,

Hello Jonas

> My name is Jonas Schmidt (germany). I’m currently doing my bachelor’s
> degree in business informatics.  I wanted to build an interface
> specification for my thesis based on the REST architecture pattern that
> fits into an automotive environment.

But that's assuming that the REST architecture pattern fits into an
automotive environment...
;-)   I'm just kidding - it's a good thesis subject, I'm sure.

> After some research I recognized the submission of (i.a.) Dr.. Patrick
> Bartsch that is public on W3C and found the github account and confluence
> pages of GENIVI Alliance. They attracted my attention while I searched use
> cases for some connectivity projects for cars. I took the GENIVI use cases
> and specified an interface based on the viwi protocol submission.

So you used the use-cases but not the GENIVI LBS APIs?  It seems an
unnecessary reinvention to not reuse the names of properties and such that
many others are used to?  Also if you did, it would be easier to draw the
interesting thesis conclusions in my opinion (see below).

What were the assumptions going into your project that made you do it that
way?

> Now I want to examine the differences between imperative/stateful and
> stateless approaches while specification and implementation phase.

This is good and similar to what GENIVI has been looking at in this area
too.  Essentially we are interested in investigating the result of taking a
comprehensive LBS API that has been published, most of which are of Remote-
Procedure-Call + Signal type, and looking at the results of a fully- or
semi-automated conversion to a REST interface.  If you also tried that and
evaluated the result then I think you would get good answers to the question
at hand here.

In general there should be no reason to start from scratch when going to a
new domain like Web APIs.  I believe strongly in the idea that the essence
of APIs should as much as possible be defined once - not uniquely for
different domains.  But that may need a bit more investigation so I'm
looking forward to hear your results if you investigate that aspect in
particular (as opposed to just writing a brand new API).

On the details of that, I haven't looked too deeply at how much client-side
state is assumed in the GENIVI LBS APIs today, but I would not imagine it
can be that much.  Most of the time you either want to get the latest value
of some property, or just perform an operation or otherwise affect something
on the receiver (server) side.

> Patrick asked me if I want to publish my proposal and participate to the
> BG. So here I am.
>
> You can find my proposal on
> github: https://github.com/j3ss5t/viwiLocationBasedServices
>
> Best regards