From: Gunnar Andersson [mailto:gandersson@genivi.org]
Sent: Monday, August 14, 2017 6:31 PM
To: public-autowebplatform
Cc: ted@w3c.org; Paul Boyes; Rudi Streif at JLR; 이원석
Subject: VISS and VIAS language guidance

Hello all

As requested I've looked at the Editor's Draft versions of VISS and VIAS specifications.  On a quick read through they mostly look good and I'm not sure I'm deep enough into it, to not miss if there are some technical inconsistencies remaining, but that's a good sign for the Draft status I suppose.

At least a few spelling/language issues were remaining that I could find
during a read through.   A pull-request sent on the most obvious ones [1].

But then, I wanted to ask you about policy.  After fixing the clearly needed things I could see some inconsistency in the language used in the two specifications - primarily the English vs. American spelling of words.

Do you have a policy for that?  If the policy is American English, as it often is in many projects, does that mean you want to go in and change every behaviour/behavior, colour/color, and so on?

Also, the preference for Z or S, organize/organise and many similar words.
Despite that American English is dominating almost everything I read (and write), as a European at least for me the usage of Z almost looks exaggerated if it is applied in th most basic instances.  So it makes me uncertain.  What I mean is, for some words I find myself preferring the S spelling, whereas in other cases the Z spelling feels very natural to me.
That's not being consistent however.  ;-)  Maybe consistency within one specification is enough?

Before we start nitpicking, could you give some guidance about the policies, and how diligently you would like this pursued?

Thanks,
- Gunnar

[1] https://https://github.com/w3c/automotive/pull/225github.com/w3c/automotive/pull/225

--